Mission of the Music Ark: To promote and preserve musical, cultural, ecological, and biological diversity
Ready, fire, aim!
- Get a big ship.
- Place on board 2 of every musical instrument. (Must be good breeding stock.)
- Recruit a multitude of talented, accomplished musicians to act as teachers.
- Like Semester at Sea, students will cruise the open waters-stopping at ports of musical and cultural interest along the way, learning from senior musicians, and participating in the ferment of musical innovation on the ship itself.
- At port cities, large concerts will be staged, headed by name acts. A portion of the proceeds will be devoted to promoting ecological and biological diversity.
- The ship will be a floating musical instrument library. Surplus instruments will be distributed to people who cannot afford to buy them.
- The ship will be outfitted with onboard recording gear, as well as portable units to take onto land for field recordings.
- A database of traditional world music will be developed by the Music Ark's staff and participants.
The chief goals of the Music Ark are:
- To promote and preserve the remarkable variety of musical traditions and styles.
- To spawn musical innovation and encourage fresh compositions and styles as a natural outgrowth of the interactions among the persons and instruments on board.
- To serve as an emissary and living model of peaceful, beneficial exchange among diverse cultures and individuals through the medium of music-enriching the lives of everyone touched by the Music Ark, and inspiring new forms of beneficial exchange in other spheres.
- To be a Solution Center for promoting ecological and biological diversity, by incubating, accumulating, and enacting ideas, resources, and funds.